The remains of the St. Michael Church Print

szt mihaly altemplomkicsi2

Address: 2600 Vác, Fő tér
tel.: +36/30-555-7620, +36/30-555-7603
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

The church was built for the German citizens, who were immigrated after the Tatar ravage in 1241. It was built to honour St. Michael and stood here almost for half a century. The church, which stood on the property of the former castle, was destroyed by the Turks, and after their secession the St. Michael Church was used as a cathedral. In the 18th century the church became strongly damaged. Bishop Kristóf Migazzi entrusted the architect Ignác Oracsek around 1750 to prepare plans for a cathedral and based on these the construction began in baroque style.

According to the plans a bigger cathedral with a crypt would have been built. During the wrecking and the building of the new foundation the walls began to sink, the dome and the roof of the church started to crackle. Bishop Károly Eszterházy stopped the construction and assigned the place of the new cathedral at the meeting point of the ‘outer and inner castle’. After a year the St. Michael Church was torn down, its building stones were reused at the construction of the new cathedral, which was raised and consecrated in 1172 in the honour of Holy Mary and St. Michael and to remember the former cathedrals.

In the middle of the square are the ruin, and an archaeological excavation of the church, and an exhibition of the history of the church can be visited here.

Adult: 400 Ft/fő
Children, pensioner: 200 Ft/fő
Family ticket (2 adults+ 2 children): 800 Ft, from the 3rd child 100 Ft/child